Thursday, September 17, 2026

Anti-War Voices?

I had never heard of Antiwar.com or The American Conservative until we talked about them in class. Once I started reading them, I couldn't stop thinking about why nobody had ever told me these sites existed.

The U.S. has been at war with Iran since February 28, 2026. 

The Congressional Budget Office says it had cost about $38 billion through August. 

That is a huge number, but honestly, it barely registers for most people my age. It just feels like background noise.

The Antiwar.com logo

Antiwar.com is a nonprofit that pulls together news and opinion about Iran, Yemen, and how much the military is spending. 

The American Conservative caught me off guard. 

It's a conservative magazine, and it runs a daily "Iran War Day" update. 

Its homepage even has a quote from President Trump saying that the people who tried to build nations ended up wrecking more of them than they built.

My honest opinion is that strong antiwar voices are hard to find in mainstream news because the government has so much power over the media. 

I think reporters who push too hard could lose the careers they worked so hard for, so coverage stays safe. That's how I see it, and I know other people would explain it differently.

To be fair, mainstream outlets do report on problems with this war. The AP reported this week that both Democrats and Republicans said a top Pentagon official dodged their questions in a closed briefing. 

But that kind of coverage mostly asks how the war is being run. Antiwar.com and The American Conservative ask whether we should be in it at all, and I hardly ever see that question get real attention anywhere else.

The basis of The American Conservative

I think people look for smaller sites because they want the whole story. 

That makes sense to me, but these sites have their own point of view too, so I don't think reading them means you can stop thinking for yourself.

I don't want anyone to feel lied to or like they're only getting half the story. 

Read the mainstream coverage and the antiwar coverage together, notice what each one leaves out, and make up your own mind. 

I only found these sites because my professor happened to mention them, and nobody should have to rely on that to hear more than one side of a war.

No comments:

Post a Comment